Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Post-Election Run

I was quite tired for today's run. Stayed up way past my bedtime to watch the election coverage, and I'm happy and proud of the results. I hadn't really given much thought to Obama being the first African-American president. I of course realized it, but I voted for him because I thought he was the best guy for the job, and didn't really think too much of the significance of his race and the election until today.

It does go to show America has come a long way, but after today, I also realized we have a long way to go as far as racism and prejudice are concerned. From a variety of outlets and sources, I've become really disappointed at some of things I've heard. Let me make it clear that I am not claiming to be Mr. Politically Correct. I'm far from it. But after hearing some of the crap I've heard today... well, I've learned a lot.

I can dismiss the typical sore loser mentality that is also being emanated. That's to be expected. But when a good number are also tying it to racism, well, the paint strokes start to get blurred, now don't they? Having said that, there have of course been those that have showed a lot of class, despite their guy not getting into office.

Anyway, enough of that. My original point is that I was tired so getting out today was a bit tougher than usual. I did the nine mile workout that Pfitzinger called for, with four miles at 15k to 1/2 marathon pace.

The first two miles I ran with Tom at an easy pace for a warm up and then I took off from there for the next four. Hit the speed portion splits in 6:50, 6:45, 6:43, and 6:42. After that, I welcomed the next three cool down miles. Tough workout, but it went well. Unusually warm out today also. Didn't it snow last week?


Ran 9.0 miles @ 7:44/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 154/172
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Lower 60s, overcast, humid.
Shorts, short sleeves shirt.

5 comments:

Grellan said...

That's a tough workout so soon after MDI. Guess you have no chioce with Hyannis so close.

R. Ian Parlin said...

Stay focused, you're Maine Runner not Maine Political Commentator.

mindy said...

Nice workout. Hopefully the warmer weather made it a little easier to get out there!

pathfinder said...

Man! Those splits all under 7.....I would be happy to run those for a 5k right now! But alas...I sometimes think I will never get back to those kind of splits again.

I agree we have come a long way and though some people are racist, I think the majority are not.

I too did not have a swayed opinion about race and it was not a consideration for my vote.

I am glad it is over though....time to talk of other things.

Ultrasteve34 said...

Dude,

You are FAST!!! Nice splits.

See you this weekend!