Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Long Shadows

As mid-November approaches, the sun rises to a lower point in the sky with each passing day, casting long shadows in the afternoon. Length of day for today is officially 9h 46m, and tomorrow will be 2m 18s shorter. From now until mid-February, it's a rush to get out the door ASAP to take advantage of the daylight for the longer runs. Thankfully, I can always bring my work home with me if I don't get it all done.

Good run today. I was a little under-dressed, which proved to be a distraction. Aside from that, felt good but I'm welcoming the short five mile recovery run tomorrow just the same. Too bad it'll be in a cold rain after grad school. At least it'll be multiple, short comfort loops on the USM campus.

Ran 14.0 miles @ 8:30/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 141/155
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Mid 40s to upper 30s, sunny.
Shorts, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie.

Worth noting the below chart makes it look more hilly than it really is. The bulk of the climbs and descents are at a low grade, making them barely noticeable. Kind of looks like Devils Tower, doesn't it?


4 comments:

mindy said...

Now that's a nice long run. I can't wait to have days like that! Can you run around the back cove after grad school? Maybe Tim and I can join you one of these times.

Anonymous said...

How's the PF? I have a friend at Tae Kwon Do who is having pain like yours(she can't even work at the moment). If your plan really worked, I'll have to get the details to share with her.

Blaine Moore said...

Shadows? What are those?

(I kid...I do get to see the sun on the days that I run at lunch time. Before or after work, not so much...not a huge fan of the windowless room I work in.)

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Ugh...the shortest day of the year is fast approaching and spring seems so far away. It is going to take some time to get used to running in the dark again.

Be safe.