Thursday, November 28, 2013

More Pie: Turkey Trek 4-Mile Trail Race

Yesterday, I baked a pie. Today, I earned one. 

Ran the Turkey Trek 4-Mile Trail Race at the Bangor City Forest this morning. It's a low key race. No bib numbers or official clock. Just bring in some canned goods to benefit a local food shelter for the entry fee. However, pies were at stake so in my book it was officially a race.

I was first overall when I ran it two years ago. With only a dusting of snow on the ground in only a few spots this time around, it was much faster this year. So was the competition. 

When it started, two young fellows, one a cross country runner from Bangor High School and his friend who ran cross country for USM, took off and I gave chase. I ran by Kate, who was a 100 feet up the trail and told her "I have no chance" with a laugh as I went by. I kept the two in sight for the first two miles but it was clear from their chatter that they were hardly pushing it. 

About three quarters of a mile in, I noticed one guy gaining some ground, perhaps fifty feet or so behind. I held him there for the next mile, and then the trail took a series of sharper turns. I decided to put on a surge here to try to lose him and I guess it worked. 

The two cross country kids were now out of sight and I was alone. Not knowing how far the other guy was behind me, I relaxed just a tad, taking it back only a half a step and running hard but ready to surge again if needed. 

Finish line in sight and I crossed. The winner (Bangor kid) came up and we exchanged congrats and chatted. I learned that I was actually in second place, only because his buddy took off ahead but made a wrong turn. Felt bad for the guy, but when I saw him a few minutes later he appeared to be laughing it off and taking it in stride. 

I chose a chocolate chip and walnut pie and can't wait to devour it later! Very happy to participate in an event that is for a good cause. Looks like they had a huge amount of canned goods thanks to the runners. Always nice when you can combine a true passion with a good cause, and I appreciate the pie. Thank you organizers, looks like it was a success. 

Pie!
Ran 3.9 miles @ 6:37/mile pace. 
Trails. 
Mostly flat. 
Around 30 degrees, sunny, windy. 
New Balance MT1010, long tights, sleeveless shirt, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves. 

w/u: Ran 1.9 miles @ 8:17/mile pace. 


No comments: