Thursday, November 24, 2011

Turkey Trek at the Bangor City Forest

This'll be quick: I took part in the Turkey Trek, a low-key 4-Mile Trail Race at the Bangor City Forest this morning. No bib numbers. No official time clock. Race fee = bring in some canned goods to benefit a local food pantry. However, the first three to cross the finish line win homemade pies.

I wanted one.

One obstacle we'd all have to contend with: around 10 inches of snow fell yesterday. There were roughly about three or four dozen of us (?), and I'd say about a quarter of the field had the presence of mind to bring snowshoes. 

On your mark, get set, go. We were off. I moved ahead pretty quickly and held the lead. Pretty slow conditions, running in almost a foot of powdery snow but four miles later I finished in first place. Again, low key event, but I'll go ahead and call it my first overall win ever (there were pies at stake, afterall). The people running the event were great and I had my choice of which pie I wanted. I conferred with Kate and we chose the pecan pie. Can't wait to devour it later! 

Fun event and for a good cause. Happy Thanksgiving!

Winner winner, pecan pie dinner!
Ran 4.0 miles @ 10:51/mile pace. 
Trails, 10"-12" of powdery snow.
Mostly flat. 
Lower 20s, sunny. 
Adidas Adizero XT, long pants, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves. 

3 comments:

Sparkplug said...

Awesome! Nice job. Sounds like fun!

Thomas said...

Congratulations. I hope the pie was as good as the race.

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Food is the best prize. It's most efficient because you're investing your winnings back to yourself!

Congrats man!