Saturday, November 09, 2013

That Shouldn't Have Happened

Today's run at Pineland was awesome. My energy was high and my legs felt great; dare I say they even felt fresh. I had pep. This is all great, but it shouldn't have been that way.

Yesterday's speed workout was tough. Normally a workout like that has me feeling expectedly sore the next day. Throw in that I had a greasy (but delicious) bacon cheeseburger at the local pub last night, washed down with a couple of locally made barley sodas. I woke up in the middle of the night with some bad indigestion and couldn't fall back to sleep for a while. I woke up feeling tired and not very rested as a result.

Yet despite all of that, I felt great during the run. And... there were minimal problems with my heel on the trails. Imagine a boat out at sea getting hit broadside with swells...that same movement with my right foot causes a sharp, shooting pain on the inside of my heel. The trails at Pineland are pretty smooth so that obviously was a big factor in helping, but still, I expected worse. Only twice did I rock the foot the wrong way and the pain was brief and dissipated quickly. Excellent.

Toss into the mix the the great company of Ian, John R. and Julia for most of the run, followed by some coffee and treats time at the Visitor Center with everyone else afterward. That was awesome. Hard to ask for a better Saturday morning run. Stoked.

Ran 10.2 miles @ 8:59/mile pace.
Trails.
Moderately hilly.
Lower to upper 30s, partly sunny.
New Balance MT1010, long tights, windbreaker (shed halfway), long sleeved shirt, buff, gloves.


No comments: