Monday, November 04, 2013

The Reluctant Sun

The sun just kind of hangs out in the east this time of year, reluctant to climb high and relieved to duck back under the horizon. It's tired and has given up trying, not caring if the shadows are long and the cold air begins to bite. It has better things to do. Leave me alone, it says. I need more sleep. Don't bug me until March.

Thankfully, there wasn't as much to do as I thought with preparing first quarter report cards. I put on some Aphex Twin, fastened my seatbelt, focused hard and breezed through what I had to do. Just as I was getting up to speed, it was time to apply the brakes. I was done.

Rejoicing, I changed and left the school, running my usual five mile route. There was still plenty of daylight to enjoy the run, even though Mr. Sun had punched out and was on his way home. It went well. Quite pleased given the mileage over the weekend.

A rest day is planned for tomorrow and with cross country season over, this means my afternoon is pretty wide open. The trout are no doubt missing Mr. Sun's presence, but hopefully they won't mind a size 14 black nosed dace waved in front of their noses. Yessir, I'm going fishing.

Ran 5.0 miles @ 7:49/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Upper 30s, sunny.
Saucony Virrata, shorts, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, buff, gloves.

No comments: