Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Importance of Sleep

Picking up from yesterday; I wrote my blog post and laid on the couch with The Hobbit playing on the TV. Around ten minutes later, I was sound asleep.

A little over two hours into the movie, I awoke to the sound of whispering, followed by Kate cracking up with laughter. Confused and groggy, I asked what she was doing. She explained she was trying to plant subliminal messages to go out to eat at a Japanese steakhouse. I explained that hardly required any covert coaxing, but kept to myself that I was glad she wasn't trying to trick me into additional household chores.

After an awesome feast of quality sushi, we came home. Shortly afterwards I was in bed and woke up over nine hours later. With Kate in bed and two cats curled up at her sides, I knew she'd be there for a while so I hit the trails for a run.

Big surprise at first: I felt great. My energy was peppy and my legs only felt slightly tired. I mused that if I hadn't gotten in a speed workout already this week, a Fartlek session would have been more than possible and would have gone well, to boot. But still, I took it easy.

But what caused this big turnaround from yesterday? As soon as I asked myself the answer was obvious. Sleep. Much needed sleep. Rested and repaired as a result. The sushi might have gotten an assist as well; good protein and carbs.

Very stoked to get in 51.2 miles for the week. Ramp up is going fantastic. Step down week next week, which will go well with the 5K race a week from today. Will be many turkeys a trottin'.

Ran 5.2 miles @ 9:05/mile pace.
Trails.
Mostly flat.
Upper 30s, overcast.
New Balance MT1010, long tights, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, buff, gloves.

No comments: