Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Yasso 800s

Today called for speed work. On tap: a full, 10-rep session of Yasso 800s. This workout is the kind that has me cursing in my head practically non-stop while I'm doing it, but if it goes well I'm super stoked afterwards.

Before my warm-up, I noticed the track was coated in snow, but fortunately, last month I had wheeled out an 800M loop around the school I teach at. This was my first time using the route and it worked out well since the parking lot was plowed. There were a few small patches of black ice in a few isolated spots, but all in all not bad.

After each rep, I swiped a mark in the dirt and grime on the back bumper of my car to help keep track of how many I had done. I felt pretty good and energetic from the start, and while it of course got tougher, I continued to feel very good overall (relatively speaking) as the marks made their way across my bumper. Ended up finishing with my fastest overall average for a full, 10-rep session yet (2:56). Pretty happy about that.

wu: Ran 1.7 miles @ 8:03/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 132/146

Yasso 800s: 10 X 800M w/ 3:00 active recovery in between. Splits were 2:58, 2:59, 2:57, 2:56, 2:57, 2:54, 2:56, 2:55, 2:54, 2:49. Average of 2:56. Total mileage w/ recovery = 7.6 miles.
cd: Ran 1.7 miles @ 8:52/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 154/176

cd: Ran 1.7 miles @ 8:52/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 136/148

Paved roads, some icy patches.
Mostly flat.
Lower 30s to upper 20s, partly cloudy, breezy.
Brooks Mach 11, long pants, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

4 comments:

Thomas said...

That's an awesome set of numbers, Jamie. I bet you're happy about that.

But a full set of 10 Yasso 800s is a very serious workout. I normally would not even think about doing one until a few weeks before a target race.

Don't wear yourself out in training. It's on the race course where the numbers count.

Jamie Anderson said...

Valid point, Thomas. I was thinking that prior to the workout as well, but I guess the ego got the better of me and I wanted to see where I was at.

sn0m8n said...

"I had wheeled out an 800M loop" Yeah, that's gotta be closer to 700M with those numbers.

Grellan said...

Great ego boost Jamie. Hope you can hold that form all the way to Boston.