Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Embracing Winter

I woke up at 5am and the snow was already coming down hard, but I really wanted to run today. So, I headed outside in the pre-dawn hours to test my headlamp in the dark and snow. Wasn't going to work, there was too much reflection. Dang.

So, by the time the sun came up I was antsy. Around 2"-3" had now fallen but I figured I could still hit the trails. Donning my screw shoes I was off to hopefully get in at least three miles. The wind was blowing hard and it stung my cheeks, making me wish I had my balaclava. But I warmed up after about a mile and was comfortable. Visibility was a few hundred feet, but when the wind was in my face I had to shield my eyes from the blowing snow.

The footing was very slow going with the accumulating powdery snow, but also very manageable, even after another few inches built up during the run. Really glad I did this. It was both a great idea and a stupid one, which is what trail running should always be about.

Worth noting my heart rate was the equivalent of running at least three minutes per mile faster on the roads. Pretty funny.

Ran 5.1 miles @ 11:03/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 138/159
Trails, coated in 3"-6" of unbroken powdery snow.
Moderately hilly.
Lower 20s, overcast, heavy snow (2"+ hour) and winds.
Adidas Adizero XT (screwed), long pants, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

Post-run self-portrait. 

3 comments:

R. Ian Parlin said...

if you put the headlamp around your waist you won't get the glare off the snowflakes in front of your face.

Jamie Anderson said...

Good suggestion, but mine has a center strap that goes around the top of the head from front to back, so I'd have to get a new strap for that to work comfortably.

middle.professor said...

Put each leg through the strap and the center strap hugs your crotch. Just like a strapon... (Is this blog PG?)