Saturday, January 15, 2011

How To Kick Your Butt

The short answer to the above title is to do both running and skate skiing in the same day. I've done this before, but never with the distances I did today. I'm pleasantly wiped out and will no doubt sleep very well tonight.

AM:
Despite it being around -5F/-21C at the start of the run, several had shown up at Bradbury Mountain for the weekly run. Ian, Emma, Val, Rick, Jim D., Al and Andy were all there.

Trail conditions were pretty good, but even with somewhat firm footing it was still work. Most of the group took the 10-mile turn-off but Ian and I continued on to do the full 15-mile loop. As always, it was great to run with Ian.

After the run, we met up with Emma, Val and Rick at Edna and Lucy's to get lunch, which I mowed down with reckless abandon.

Ran 15.4 miles @ 9:48/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 146/153* (estimated, as the readings were erratic the first few miles)
Trails with moderately packed snow.
Very hilly.
-5 to mid teens, sunny.
Adidas Adizero XT (screwed), long pants, long tights (underneath), Gortex jacket, long sleeved shirt, beanie, heavy gloves first half, light gloves second half.



PM:
A few hours later, I met back up with Jim D. at Pineland Farms. I had originally planned on skate skiing 15 kilometers, but I was so wiped I only got in a little over 10, which I was content with.

Fortunately, Jim mercifully slowed to my speed and we skied out to the yurt and back. He was a good carrot, and despite tired legs I ended up with what is a really good overall speed for me. I know my speed is a crawl for proficient skate skiers, but I'm showing signs of progress. Trails were in great shape and fast, so that also helped.

Jim continued on to hit some other trails, but I opted to head back to the practice field and do some work there and the short loop a few times. I worked on my V2, as opposed to the easier V2A. It felt awkward at first, but after some practice I got much more comfortable with it.

Great day. Winter's in Maine rule.

Skate skied 10.3 kilometers @ 11.1 kph/average.
AHR/MHR - 146/162
Fast trails.
Very hilly.
Around 20 degrees, mostly cloudy.
Long tights, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.




1 comment:

Sparkplug said...

Nice work Jamie! You sure took full advantage of a snowy winter day! Sleep well tonight :-)