Friday, January 28, 2011

Keeping It In Check

The ego. It can be a runner's ally, but can also easily be its worst enemy. It drives us to push ourselves and compete, but it can also take us over the cliff and get injured.

I thought about this a lot during today's run. This has been a great week for mileage and I wanted to keep the momentum going. I had ten on tap for today, and a goal of getting in over 70 miles for the week.

Did some reflecting and decided it was important to keep the big picture in mind, which is the Boston Marathon. Quads feel slightly better than yesterday, but still need some rest. I decided pushing it today and the rest of the week could lead to increased recovery time next week, and just set back the training. Not where I want to be, and not worth the risk of injury.

So, begrudgingly I did a little under six today and I kept the pace and heart rate truly in the recovery zone. However, I'm more at peace with it the more I think about it, and typing this just makes me feel even better about the decision. On a related note, I'm happy to play things by ear the next few days.

Ran 5.7 miles @ 8:33/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 129/152
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Mid 30s, partly cloudy.
Saucony Kinvara, long pants, fleece jacket, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: