Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Lessons in Time Management

Just thought I'd mention something I've been doing recently that's really helped with time management and therefore running: Teaching is a pretty intense job at times, and there's a lot of work to be done aside from running a class. What I used to do was get some prep work done before classes started, but any additional grading and prep work I'd do after classes let out.

This wasn't working well for me. Like most teachers, my brain is mush by the end of the day. The last thing I want to do is grade projects or prepare lesson plans. Take into account my planning period is right at the end of the day and, well, that doesn't help much. I'm ready to get out and run as soon as teaching and the planning period is over, so often I do that, and then I used to bring the rest of my work home for when I was done running. Even then, that is often difficult. It's too easy to procrastinate and when I'm home, I'd rather just enjoy being at home.

So, the past month, I've been getting into work extra early in the mornings, an hour to an hour and a half sooner than usual. My brain is fresh, there is hardly anyone around so no distractions, and I've found I am MUCH more productive at that time and I get so much more done and in a shorter amount of time.

The result of this is that I can just relax when afternoon comes along and do my runs easier without worrying as much. It's great. Just wish I started doing this routine sooner.

Today's run went well. Another inch of snow this morning, so roads were a bit sloppy. I stuck to the neighborhood roads which were the best option since they were pretty clear and traffic was minimal. Very good run. Felt energetic and all around great again today, the likely result of not much running last week from being sick.

Ran 8.2 miles @ 7:28/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 148/163
Paved roads, large stretches of snow and slush.
Moderately hilly.
Upper teens, partly sunny.
Saucony Kinvara, long pants, fleece jacket, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

1 comment:

pathfinder said...

Jamie,
I have been doing the "getting to work early" thing for quite a few years now and it does work great....no phone calls, no interuptions and plenty of peace and quiet to concentrate.