Sunday, January 16, 2011

Harris Farm

After yesterday, a recovery day was in order. That came in the form of attempting to teach Kate to skate ski at Harris Farm. I use the word "attempt" because of my ability, not hers. Classic case of blind leading the blind. I am hardly qualified to give any real instruction, but figured she'd still be okay.

Turns out Kate was a natural. I anticipated staying on the flat and easy meadow while she learned, but she picked it up quick and she expressed intrest in hitting some of the harder trails, so that's what we did. It worked out well.

It was good for me as well, as I just took it easy and concentrated on all aspects of my form. One thing I relearned is to wipe away the runner mentality of charging hills with wreckless abandon. With skate skiing, you need to have good technique to V1 uphill efficiently. Today, I just relaxed, took it slow and concentrated on technique. The result? Getting up hills without being winded and probably getting up faster as well. Was very happy about that.

Ended up getting in close to eight kilometers. Kate appeared to have a lot of fun with it. Fun day on the trails!

Skate skied 7.8 kilometers @ 10.0 kph/average*. (several breaks were taken and not included in speed).
AHR/MHR - N/A (opted to not use the strap)
Trails, well packed fast conditions overall.
Very hilly.
Around 30 degrees, sunny.
Long pants, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I'm convinced the best way to learn something is to try to teach it to someone else.