Saturday, January 08, 2011

20 Miles at the GAC Fat Ass

Kate and I headed down for the GAC Fat Ass down in Ipswich, MA to get in some miles on what was a really fun day. We met up with Ryan and Danielle and as the race got started, Ryan, Danielle and I were all running at the same, casual and easy pace for the first two laps, then it was Ryan and I for the third.

Because we were running easy, the conversation flowed like wine, and as always, with Ryan it was quite humorous. Really had a blast out there. Trail conditions were PERFECT. Snow was very packed down and it was perfect for screw shoes. Light snow was falling at the start and it got progressively harder as the morning went on which also made it fun.

The course consists of a 10K loop and my plan from the get-go was to run it three times then tack on a few more miles to bring me up to 20. I was feeling great, and was tempted to go on with Ryan who planned on getting in the marathon distance. But, logic prevailed and I stuck with my plan of just doing 20 and was happy with that.

On the way back, Kate and I stopped in Portsmouth to refuel on grub and drinks, a perfect cap to a fun day. I'd write more details of the overall run, but the NFL playoffs are on. Big thanks to the GAC folks for providing a very fun run!

Ran 20.3 miles @ 9:54/mile pace (includes stops)
AHR/MHR - 132/152
Trails, well packed snow.
Moderately hilly.
Mid to upper 20s, overcast, light to moderate snowfall.
Adidas Adizero XT (screwed), long tights, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: