Sunday, July 29, 2012

Trail Run in the Rain

After the slog two days ago, I made the smart call to take a rest day yesterday. During a pool party over at Jeremy and Alison's, I could tell my energy was returning. Jeremy and I had a blast seeing if we could run and jump on an inner tube and surf it across the pool... first short ways, then long ways. It was total fun. We were 10 years old again. 

I woke up this morning to a light rain falling. Perfect. That would keep the deer flies at bay and I could comfortably hit the trails. That also provided the benefit of not worrying about pace so much. When running roads, I tend to pay much more attention to the quantitative data but during trail runs I usually focus more on the qualitative... which fit in perfectly with coming off a bonk. 

I figured the energy would be there but wondered how the legs would feel. They felt a little heavy, especially at first, but still a far cry from the other day. On a good track and I mostly just ran along and enjoyed it, noting the increased prevalence of Queen Anne's lace and goldenrods, wildflowers that signify late summer. 

Would like to do something medium-long to long tomorrow, but we'll see. Best to continue to play things by ear for a few more days before pushing myself harder. 

Ran 7.9 miles @ 9:21/mile pace. 
Trails, about one mile of paved roads. 
Moderately hilly. 
Upper 60s, overcast, light rain. 
New Balance MT110, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.  

No comments: