Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Reflections

Been doing a lot of thinking about Sunday's race. Initially, I wasn't terribly pleased but also far from disappointed. However, the more I think about it the more happy I am. Yes, it was another hot race and I knew that slowed me down, but c'mon, expecting perfect weather for every race is stupid. And you can't PR every race.. expecting that is also pretty foolish.

Everyone else had to run in the heat also... and for me, coming in 12th place out of 1043 finishers and second in my AG is something to be proud of. That's actually my highest percentile placing ever. My fragile ego definitely appreciates it.

Furthermore, I wasn't feeling so great before the race and also during most of it, but the numbers turned out just fine. It was a lesson relearned to always battle and move forward when you can. Unless really ill or injured, things can turn out favorably simply by plowing ahead. Not always, but there's enough chance to usually make it worthwhile.

Enough patting myself on the back though... it's time to move forward. Next race is the Bradbury Breaker, which is the one that always gives me the most trouble in the three race series. Hopefully some revenge will be had.

As for today, a nice barefoot recovery run on the soccer fields. Nice and slow. Hoping to do another short recovery run this evening.

Ran 4.5 miles @ 9:52/mile pace.
Grassy fields.
Flat.
Upper 70s, sunny, humid.
Barefoot, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

No comments: