Monday, July 30, 2012

Kabonk


A longish run on tap for today. Things were going reasonably well for the first twelve miles. I was running an easy pace of around 8:00/mile with no problems. Then in the last five miles the wheels fell off, and I averaged around 8:45/mile for that last stretch.

It was frustrating, but then it really hit me why this was happening: Crappy diet. I won't detail how I've been eating the past week or two, it's too embarrassing, but I'm surprised I haven't bonked more often. If there is a bright side, at least the overall caloric intake has been pretty low, and I've actually lost a few pounds in the past few weeks. It's just when I've been eating, I haven't been making the best choices.

The good news is that such things are very easy to turn around, and the results are seen very quickly. Just eat healthier. Make sure I'm getting lots of fruits and veggies, protein and quality complex carbs. It really is that simple.

So onward and upward. Glad to get in 17 miles all the same. Looking forward to a big salad with quinoa and local farm veggies later today.

Ran 17.1 miles @ 8:16/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Lower to upper 70s, partly cloudy.
Saucony Kinvara 3, shorts, short sleeved shirt, bandana.

4 comments:

middle.professor said...

makes me want to go buy a big sky chocolate chip cookie

Judson Cake said...

Try a couple pieces of whole wheat bread with coconut oil and brown rice syrup with slices of banana on top before your runs. Lots of energy, both fast and slow burning.

Jamie Anderson said...

Thanks Judson, I'll definitely try that.

pathfinder said...

I eat healthy for 1/2 of all my meals.....it's a glass half full thing