Sunday, March 01, 2009

Spring vs. Winter

I woke up this morning somewhat surprised my foot was feeling as well as it was. The PF was so minor it felt as if I hadn't even run yesterday. My legs also didn't feel so bad either, with only some light soreness.

So, I headed out for my 9.2 mile loop, knowing that I could do it comfortably if I kept the pace really slow. Success. The PF was hardly present. Needless to say I'm happy.

I saw my first red-winged blackbird of the year during the run. These are one of the first species of birds that arrive in Maine during the spring migration. Given that 10"-16" of snow are expected tonight and tomorrow followed by another cold snap, he might want to think about heading back down south for a little bit longer. Still, nice to see and hear one.

I saw one person and several animals during today's run that will be happy about tonight's storm... a dog-sledder and his team of dogs. The guy was setting up his rig when I saw him. Would have been great to see them in action, but I was about a mile from home and a hot shower sounded better.

Had a 41.8 mile week this week and was able to do so relatively comfortably. Two 40+ mile weeks in a row is a big accomplishment for me at this stage. And with today's run on top of yesterday's long run, I feel I've really earned my rest day tomorrow.

Ran 9.2 miles @ 9:05/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 143/154
Paved roads.
Moderatly hilly.
Mid-upper teens, mostly cloudy.
Long pants, fleece jacket, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

3 comments:

MB said...

Does Maine have Iditarod style races?

Jamie Anderson said...

They definitely do have dog sled races up at Pineland Farms, and I can imagine other places in Maine as well. However, not to familiar with that scene, though it looks like a lot of fun.

Grellan said...

Well done on the long run and great to hear that it had no impact on the PF.