Sunday, March 01, 2009

Spring vs. Winter

I woke up this morning somewhat surprised my foot was feeling as well as it was. The PF was so minor it felt as if I hadn't even run yesterday. My legs also didn't feel so bad either, with only some light soreness.

So, I headed out for my 9.2 mile loop, knowing that I could do it comfortably if I kept the pace really slow. Success. The PF was hardly present. Needless to say I'm happy.

I saw my first red-winged blackbird of the year during the run. These are one of the first species of birds that arrive in Maine during the spring migration. Given that 10"-16" of snow are expected tonight and tomorrow followed by another cold snap, he might want to think about heading back down south for a little bit longer. Still, nice to see and hear one.

I saw one person and several animals during today's run that will be happy about tonight's storm... a dog-sledder and his team of dogs. The guy was setting up his rig when I saw him. Would have been great to see them in action, but I was about a mile from home and a hot shower sounded better.

Had a 41.8 mile week this week and was able to do so relatively comfortably. Two 40+ mile weeks in a row is a big accomplishment for me at this stage. And with today's run on top of yesterday's long run, I feel I've really earned my rest day tomorrow.

Ran 9.2 miles @ 9:05/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 143/154
Paved roads.
Moderatly hilly.
Mid-upper teens, mostly cloudy.
Long pants, fleece jacket, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.


Mark said...

Does Maine have Iditarod style races?

Jamie said...

They definitely do have dog sled races up at Pineland Farms, and I can imagine other places in Maine as well. However, not to familiar with that scene, though it looks like a lot of fun.

Grellan said...

Well done on the long run and great to hear that it had no impact on the PF.