Saturday, February 28, 2009

Finally... A Long Run!

The Trail Monster group I run with regularly put together a small 50k Fat Ass today, starting at Chuck's house. Big props to him, Katy, and their family for hosting the event. It was a grand time! I hope I get everyone, but Ian, Emma, Stephen, Blaine, Mindy, Ryan, Danielle, Jim D., Floyd, Dora, George, David, Matt and Allan were in attendance. All of us did varying distances, with Floyd, Ian, and Allan doing the full 50k. Stephen also got in 50k, but joined us after running the 15 mile distance from his house to Chuck's, and then continuing with us until he got in the full amount.

Anyway, obviously 31.1 miles would be too much for me at this point, but I did want to get in at least 20 miles, so that was the goal. Mission accomplished! It wasn't easy though and the going was pretty slow. The course was hilly and at times the snow was pretty loose, especially later in the day. However, overall the trails were in much better shape than I had anticipated. And, I'm simply still relatively out of shape for this distance. I'm getting there though. In fact, overall I'm pretty pleased with my training lately. Still have a ways to go, but that's part of the fun.

The course consisted of a loop of around five miles that went up to Hedgehog Mountain (really just a big hill, but a nice one at that) and back to Chuck's place. Great course and a lot of fun. I ran quite a bit of it with my buddy Stephen, and also Blaine. I wish I could give more details on the run itself, but alas I'm tired.

As for the foot... well, good and bad. The PF did flare up a bit around mile 12, but it was tolerable. It hurt and was uncomfortable, but it was tolerable. I stretched throughout the run, and quite a bit afterwards. That must have worked, because what was good is that it's not tightening up any further, at least not at this point a few hours after run. Normally, after the ride home I step out of the car and go "ouch!". Today, I just stepped out and didn't think much of it. Alright, time for some more stretching to keep it that way.

Ran 20.5 miles @ 10:52/mile pace (does not factor stops at the aid station set up in Chuck's house, only time moving).
AHR/MHR - 147/167
Trails with varying snow conditions, some small road sections.
Very hilly.
Lower to upper 30s, sunny.
Long pants throughout. First five miles, fleece jacket, traded for a long sleeved shirt over a short sleeved shirt after that. Beanie. Gloves (off and on).

3 comments:

Love2Run said...

Interesting course profile there. Nice to see your improvement coming along.

UltraFlash said...

Awesome Brother! Sounds like heel lifts, ART, stretching, strengthening, and voodoo are working! I can not wait until the MMT 100 and WS 100! You Can Do It!

Thomas said...

Yes, interesting course profile. It looks like the hand of the course is showing you the finger ..