Saturday, March 28, 2009

One Tough 50K Run

Officially dubbed as the "I've Been Married for 10 Years and My Wife Still Doesn't Have a Fat Ass 50k", this was one tough event. Ian and Emma are celebrating their 10th anniversary, and very graciously decided to spend it by putting on the event and running with the rest of us Trail Monster knuckleheads. Thanks guys for a fun time!

In case anyone who stumbles across this report doesn't know what a "Fat Ass" running event is, it's basically a very informal "race" with no entry fees or prizes. They really are just more of a glorified training run. 50k is the most common distance.

Anyway, I'll keep this brief... the company was excellent and the conditions were extremely tough. Loose snow, ice and mud dominated the trails, which were already steep and rugged to begin with. It was very challenging to say the least, but also a lot of fun.

The course was a four mile loop at Bradbury Mountain State Park that meandered through the park and went over the summit of the hill (too small to be called a mountain, IMO. That being said, it's still a major buttkicker). Loops repeated seven times, and then the eighth one was shortened about a mile to get in the distance without going over too much.

I felt great! My plan was to take things VERY easy today and I did just that. As a result, I ran very slow and aside from my back cramping up slightly around 22 miles in (that went away), I felt great all around. The foot did ache a bit, but I never once felt the sharp stabbing pain of a PF flare-up. That was GREAT news. Trail runs had still proved difficult prior to this, always causing flare-ups, so today was a big success. My shin splints were also never an issue. And my energy felt great, but then again, I was taking it very easy. Very, very pleased with how it all went.

I'd guess around 25 folks started. I don't think most were planning on doing the whole distance, but I think 6-7 of us finished the full 50K. I do know I was last of the finishers, and am proud of my DFL! Hey, if you're gonna go slow, do it in style.

Ran big chunks of the run with Amanda, who I ran about half of the MDI Marathon with last year before my wheels fell off and she blazed ahead... also ran a good chunk with Stephen, and then Ryan. I hadn't run one-on-one with Ryan for a long stretch before, so that was nice. We definitely had some funny conversations.

No plans to run tomorrow, so happy to finish with over 60 miles for the week.

Ran 31.6 miles @ 13:13/mile pace. (does not include rest stops)
AHR/MHR - 136/160
Rugged trails coated with loose snow, ice, and mud.
Very hilly.
Upper 30s to lower 40s, overcast.
Shorts, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt.





8 comments:

Sparkplug said...

Nice job Jamie! Love the photo too :-) Glad the shins and PF weren't factors. That is definitely good news!

mindy said...

Awesome job Jamie. So glad everything felt "on"!

Thomas said...

Nice one!

Grellan said...

I think you meant "One tough Mother@u#ker".

Well done, great comeback from the PF layoff - it's the time spent on your legs that's really important and should bode well for WS100.

Love2Run said...

Super run, what an insane course profile, over and over!

bricey said...

excellent run. 50k training run..WOW..that's my weekly mileage!!

Running up the same hill 8 times - it seems bad enough to run up it once but eight...mad!!

pathfinder said...

Great job Jamie....I love that elevation map...crazy what some people will do for fun!! Wish I could have been there but I didn't get back into town until Sunday.

sn0m8n said...

I'm still struggling with the fact that I couldn't battle with you for the DFL. Next time it's a walk to the finish!