Saturday, February 17, 2007

Engine Check

Ran 9.0 miles @ 7:01/mile pace. Includes 5.0 miles @ 6:41/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
30 degrees, sunny.

It's seemingly been a while since my last MP workout. This was my last big one before the marathon a week from tomorrow. I came out of the gate pretty strong. Probably should have spent the first few miles in warm up, but my over anxiousness got the better of me. I ended up setting a five mile PR, beating my previous set at the Peaks Island Road Race by :02. I'm not going to lie, it felt a bit tough, but I was also way under my projected MP, about :30 for each split (7:10/mile is projected MP).

After the first 5.0 miles, I took the last four miles as a cool down. Ended up progressing faster and hitting the final mile at under MP.

First 5.0 miles:
7:08
6:38
6:26
6:41
6:33

Last 4.0 mile cooldown:
7:38
7:34
7:28
7:05

Good run. Felt great to push the foot on the gas. The knee sprain/IT band/whatever wasn't a factor at all, and is now pretty much an after thought.

Worth mentioning: My brother is running his first marathon tomorrow down in Tampa. My father is also running a marathon tomorrow, two hours north in Gainesville. Not sure how many it is for him, but it's definitely a plethora.

Eight days to go for me.

No comments: