Friday, February 23, 2007

The Bad and the Good

Ran 4.0 miles @ 8:09/mile pace.
AHR = 150
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 20s, sunny.

First, the bad: The first three miles of this run, the left knee was still barking. I was going slow, concentrating on keeping my HR below 150. There would be the occasional twinge of pain that feels like a sprain. I could still run on it, but began wondering if I was limping in the slightest. It was distracting, and I began to seriously wonder how it'd affect me on Sunday.

But then (the good)...: Perhaps out of aggravation, I decided to test the knee and pick up the pace on the last mile (7:13/HR=162). I really felt it was important to give it a try and see what would happen. Practically no pain whatsoever. The only thing I felt was just a light touch of tightness that was barely noticeable. My stride felt smooth and natural. How'd that happen? Whatever, I'll take it. My spirits were lifted and I felt I could keep it up for another 25.2, but we'll save that for Sunday.

I'm heading down to the Cape tonight. Very fortunately, the weather forecast looks very favorable. Highs that day in the upper 30s, not too windy, and sunny.

5 comments:

MB said...

ahhh more pre-race jitters, don't let it work yourself up too much. Be cautious of anything serious and let the rest go.

It's a good time to reflect on your ten-miler you did three weeks ago and build confidence.

The weather forecast is shaping up nice. Let me know if you need anything out there on the course.

I will be supporting my best friend and stroller running at points along the race.

Love2Run said...

It will all be good this weekend. Have a great race!

Anonymous said...

I echo Mark on listening to your body. If the pain rears its ugly head, bail out. No one race is worth months off or ruining your running for life.

I should point out that I am still trying to listen to my body. Running 53 miles after straining ones Achilles tendon is stupid. I just read the book "Running Injury Free" which drove home how stupid I had become.

Rose said...

Good luck Sunday and have fun!

Banking Miles said...

Good luck man. Hope you do great.