Friday, August 09, 2013

"Trail" Run?

Is it still called a trail run if you go off trail and get a little lost in the middle of the woods?

It all started with a quest to find another way to get to this mystical stream that looks like prime native brook trout habitat. I discovered earlier this week that one way to get to it was now closed off. So, I sought another way in.

Found a way I thought was going to get me there, but the trail petered out. I took an old logging trail that was severely overgrown. It's got to be up this way, I kept thinking. Just a little further and it should be there. 

Nope.

I wandered and wandered, most of the time forced to a march as the brush was high. I then gave up and decided to head back. Then I couldn't retrace my steps. However, eventually I found that old grown in logged out area and ran back. Whew. That was a major relief when I finally knew where I was again.

Looking at my GPS track, I see where I went wrong. I turned off the main path too soon. I'll have to go back. Oh yes, I'll have to go back.

Oh yeah, the Achilles. Still a bit sore, but like yesterday it got better as the run went on. I suspect I'll be able to continue running through it.

Ran 10.3 miles @ 11:37/mile pace (includes lots of bushwacking)
Trails, woods.
Slightly hilly.
Lower 70s, overcast, intermittent light to moderate rain.
Saucony Peregrine 3, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

No comments: