Monday, August 05, 2013

Running & Fly Fishing: A Bust

Had the brilliant idea to run out to a remote stream and fly fish. However, I discovered the trail to said stream was now closed. Poop. No trespassing/fishing/hunting/anything signs and a brand new gate blocking the path. I respected the landowners and turned around and ran back.

I was very disappointed... the water is cooler in the smaller streams which translates to better trout fishing and this particular one looked very promising when I ran past it several months ago. Darn. Oh well.

That was it for my running today. I discovered my achilles on both feet are really sore. Not good. I've had achilles soreness before, and fortunately it went away very quickly. Will give it a test run tomorrow and go from there, but I obviously hope this won't be a setback.

Back to running and fly fishing... I love doing both and it's nice to combine them when possible. I hope to do more in the future. Only caveat is running with my gear at the moment is quite cumbersome. My rod is a 2-piece, which translates to 4'3" when broken down into two. A 4-piece would be much more prudent.

Mad respect to these guys who have also combined fly fishing with one of their interests: Jazz. Awesome. Best channel on YouTube, IMO.



Ran 1.0 miles @ 11:12/mile pace, carrying a fly rod, net and other gear.
Trails.
Moderately hilly.
Lower 70s, sunny, breezy.
Saucony Peregrine 3, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

No comments: