Saturday, August 03, 2013

I Met Meb

Meb and me
Kate and I headed over to spectate at the Beach to Beacon this morning. Was great to see the pros and several good friends in action not too far from the finish line. When our final friend came through we took a trail on the way back and who came running along in the opposite direction on a cooldown? Why, none other than Olympic marathoner Meb Keflezighi.

I said, "Great job today, Meb!" as he ran by (he got fifth place in a stacked field) and he smiled and said thanks. Giddy as hell, I kept excitedly repeating to Kate ohmygawdijusttalkedtoMeb, and then he ran back by us from behind. Kate said he overheard me and was laughing.

Not far ahead, he took a trail that dead-ended to an overlook on some coastal cliffs. Ah ha, he's trapped! I ran up and asked if I could get a picture with him. He graciously said yes and we chit chatted a little bit. I remember asking him if he was happy with how he did today and he said he's always happy with anything in the top 10 so was very happy to get fifth.

Stoked to have met him. I read his book Run to Overcome a few years ago and gained a lot of respect for the guy. His personality this morning very accurately reflected the traits he exhibits in his book...someone who is very kind, friendly and humble. Very, very cool guy on top of being an incredible athlete.

The Portland Head Light... one of my better pictures, but hard
to mess anything up with scenery this beautiful.

---

Several hours later I went for an afternoon run. I didn't want to take a rest day today, so I just kept it short and very casual on the trails. Incredible afternoon out; a cool, dry breeze blowing and pleasantly warm temperatures.

I stopped at one stream a half a mile behind my house and observed it for a while. It has fish. I must catch them.

I stopped again at a different spot on the stream about a mile out that I took Kate to last night. It was her first time fly fishing and she did great, getting several strikes and even having one on the line but it shook off. Very proud of her, she picked up on casting really well, and in a very tight space to boot. I did a little better, landing four small salmon (let them all go). So much fun catching them on a dry fly and seeing the water explode when they hit at the surface.

Kate false casting the line out.

Cute little salmon.

Hauling in a tiny little guy.

Catch and release.
Continued the run home, pretty satisfied with a stellar day so far. Hmmm, I think I'll go fishing again later.

Ran 3.8 miles @ 10:54/mile pace.
Trails.
Very hilly.
Mid 70s, partly cloudy, breezy.
Saucony Perrigrine 3, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

No comments: