Saturday, August 31, 2013

Bradbury Success

My Achilles flared up like the Hindenburg when I ran Bradbury last month. I was a bit nervous about going there today, but given how I've been feeling lately, it warranted a test so long as I was careful.

It went extremely well, despite the warm, sticky weather. Goal was 10 miles, but I did a bit more than that. I picked up the Big Brad Ultra course in reverse starting from the park's main parking lot, in hopes of bumping into Ryan and Danielle who were doing a long run together. I tacked on the Island Trail, where I encountered a barred owl. He was perched on a low branch just 30 feet away and we locked eyes for a while. I won the stare down, as he became distracted by chattering chipmunks. Not wanting to deprive him of his breakfast, I moved on.

Six miles later, the plan worked to perfection as I came across Ryan and Danielle somewhere on the Ginn Trail. It was nice to have company. I turned around and joined them for about four miles. Ryan told me some news about snowshoe racing that has me wicked excited for the season. The nationals are in nearby Vermont, and the goal now is to qualify.

We crossed over to the west side of the park, saw Crux and Double-T, and then parted ways at the Tote Road which I took over to the Boundary Trail and then up to the summit. Ran into Sara on the way up. Took the switchback down and called it good.

Very, very successful and encouraging run. No Achilles problems at all. None. And this run was longer and on tougher trails than that one last month which wrecked me. The only issues I'm having at all now are just being generally out of running shape, but at this rate that will change relatively quickly, but I'll still be careful. Still, I'm sending the stagehand to tell the Fat Lady to standby.

Will be stoked to get my weekly mileage averaging in the 40s by October, then the 50s for November.. then 50s to 60s for December and keep tacking it on as warranted for Boston. Bring it.

Ran 11.8 miles @ 11:41/mile pace.
Technical trails.
Very hilly.
Upper 60s to mid-70s, partly cloudy, humid.
Saucony Peregrine 3, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap, handheld bottle (Gatorade).


No comments: