Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hill Repeats at Blackstrap

Met with Ian for a session of hill repeats at Blackstrap in Falmouth. I had no idea of the route he had in mind, specifically the distance, I just knew it would be hard. It was.

Each ascent was a little over half a mile and climbed about 270'. The terrain was technical. Great playground.

My achilles pain is no more, but now my heel hurts. It's on the sides of heel and only hurts if the foot goes the wrong way. I've had this exact kind of pain a few times before and each time it went away within a few weeks, so I'm encouraged about that. However, for now it kind of sucked, especially on rocky, rooty trails. I had to be careful on the ascents but could more or less go full speed, but the descents I had to be very cautious and slowed down considerably, leaving room for Ian and his two dogs Kip and Jet to fly ahead (love those dogs).

Probably going to lay off trails for a while until the heel heals up, at least the really technical stuff. Might still hit the woods out back for easy runs. Not too worried though.

But back to the workout, very pleased overall. I'm still not back in primo running shape but this was a solid step towards getting there. Weather was PERFECT also. Not a deer fly or any other bug anywhere. This has probably been the most tame deer fly season since I've lived here. Love it.


Ran 5.7 miles @ 11:40/mile pace.
Technical trails.
Insanely hilly.
Lower 70s to upper 60s, sunny, breezy.
Saucony Peregrine 3, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

No comments: