Wednesday, January 01, 2014

The Calendar Has a New Number

Closed out 2013 with a paltry 1693-point-something miles, my lowest in years. This was due to an intentional lay off and an unintentional sore achilles/heel. That is all behind me now. I am healthy, motivated and the engine is warmed up and (almost) ready to race.

Started out 2014 right. I didn't wake up with a hangover, just a huge urge to get out for a snowshoe run in the woods out back. I got my fill and it was awesome.

The conditions were very well packed, thanks to the local snowmobilers. Very fast to run on and I rather enjoyed flying along. However, a few miles in, said speed and ease had me feeling guilty. That was soon remedied as the trail I wanted to take was only semi-broken in and then not broken in at all for a mile and a half total.

The unbroken trail was still pretty easy, thanks to the snowfall being packed from last week's freezing rains and also it being downhill. Still work, but not as much as I could have been. It then rejoined with the snowmobile trails and the pace picked back up.

Great run. I love winter.

Snowshoe Ran 7.3 miles @ 10:42/mile pace.
Packed trails, sans a semi-broken and unbroken 1.5 mile segment.
Very hilly.
8F to upper teens, sunny.
Dion 121 snowshoes, New Balance MT1010, long tights, fleece pullover, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie, mittens.

No comments: