Sunday, January 05, 2014

Capping Off a Banner Week

Goal met for today which was to get in over ten miles on the snowshoes. My legs were already very tired, but I handled the run quite well. Pace was respectful and energy was great. This is some high quality hay in the barn.

Really rock solid week of training for me. Over 35 miles and around 7h19m of snowshoe running alone, plus another five mile road run (snow coated, wore YakTrax) earlier in the week. That gives me over eight hours of training in the week. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, as long as the snow conditions permit, I'll be doing a lot more snowshoe running so paying attention to time is more important.

Eight hours is very ideal, especially if you believe that the equivalent of an easy pace on roads isn't really possible with snowshoe running. Some very rough math and guesstimation has me putting this week at the equivalent of running around 60-65 miles on roads with plenty of speed work. Several times my heart rate resembled a Slayer drumroll, especially on hills and/or unbroken trails.

I guess it's apparent I'm pretty stoked right now. This week felt pretty intense, and I think I'd have to work up a little more to maintain this intensity nearly every week, but I'm in a good spot right now for my snowshoe racing goals this winter and with Boston. Bring it on.

Rest day tomorrow, though it'll be taken reluctantly. I'm having too much fun right now.

Snowshoe Ran 10.4 miles @ 12:00/mile pace.
Softly packed snowmobile trails to partially broken in trails.
Very hilly.
Upper 20s to upper 30s, sunny.
Dion 121 snowshoes, New Balance MT1010, long tights, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: