Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Hilly Progression Run

Felt super strong thanks to yesterday's rest day. Amazing how just one day off after a big mileage week can dramatically turn things around. I was slogging through the last few days last week. Not today. It's like that rest day was the liquid Drano that unclogged the sink and today the water just flowed down the drain.

Very encouraging. Route was hilly and I just planned on taking it easy but the pace naturally came down. I didn't realize I had ran a true progression until I looked at my splits afterwards. More importantly it all felt effortless.

Feeling pretty confident about the Mid-Winter Classic on Sunday. I ran an extremely good race (for me) there last year, coming in 24th place at 1:03:45. Goal is to top that time. As long as I'm smart on those first few miles which have the bigger hills, I should be okay. Got a good pull from a runner last year, hoping to link up with someone and get the same benefit. Also, lock eyes on the guy in front of me and chase him down. Really looking forward to it. Man, I love racing.


Ran 7.6 miles @ 7:28/mile pace. 
Paved roads, a few patches of packed snow and pebbled ice. 
Very hilly. 
16F/-9C, sunny. 
Saucony Virrata, long tights, fleece pullover, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves. 

No comments: