Friday, August 26, 2011

Z-Hill Repeats

No, this was not a French variation of hill repeats. The "Z" refers to the route up the hill. This was one of those nice instances when my workout coincided with the cross country team's workout. With the other coach, an alumni member and an injured runner also present, there was plenty of help with timing and recording times so I was able to join them.

I didn't record my times, but my times going up the .19 mile route, featuring two sharp hairpin turns and a 30 ft. climb, ranged from :54 to 1:04. I'd guess I averaged about :58 overall. After a jog down and a brief pause to grab a sip of water, we'd line up and do it again. After every fourth rep, an extra two minutes of rest was given.

Great, buttkicking workout. The team did awesome and given the speed these guys have, it was a great push for me. Doing them alone just doesn't compare to running them with a group of energetic, talented young runners.

w/u - Ran 2.1 miles @ 8:36/mile pace.
12 X Hill repeats - 2.3 miles @ 5:06/mile pace (excludes the jog down)
c/d - Ran 1.8 miles @ 9:27/mile pace.

Paved roads.
Slightly hilly for w/u and c/d.
Very hilly for repeats.
Upper 60s to mid 70s, sunny, humid.
Saucony Kinvara, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

No comments: