Sunday, August 07, 2011

Early Morning Muddy Fun

Normally the pitter patter of rain lulls me into a deeper sleep and I'm slow to crawl out of bed. However, having cloud cover all night long didn't allow temps to cool down much, so I was a bit restless. I had some tea and waited for the sun to come up a little, and then was out the door at 5:53am.

I hit the Woods Out Back Loop and enjoyed splashing through the mud puddles while a light but steady rain fell. Deer flies were surprisingly pretty active. I never noticed them swarming, but instead they went right to the back of my shirt to hitch a ride, likely the result of them wanting to avoid flying too much in the rain but still wanting a bit of my blood for breakfast. I was hoping it would rain hard enough to keep them away entirely, but not the case this morning.

Despite that, it was a very enjoyable run. Legs felt a bit creaky at first, but one warmed up I felt pretty great. Good energy and I ended up with a decent pace for this route, especially given the slippery conditions.

Ran 7.8 miles @ 8:54/mile pace.
Trails and fire roads.
Very hilly.
Upper 60s, overcast, light rain throughout.
Adidas Adizero XT, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

2 comments:

mindy said...

Ugh. When do the deer flies leave again? Nice dawn patrol run, though. Looking forward to hearing about your MDI training and hope we can hit the trails together soon!

Jamie Anderson said...

Barely around by the end of this month, gone entirely by early September. That was even the case last year when it remained crazy hot through that point. Not much longer until they're gone!!!