Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Snow Squall of Death!

My afternoon run started out innocently enough... the sun was shining through partly cloudy skies and it was a warm 43 degrees out. I enjoyed the first few miles thinking the windbreaker I was wearing might be too much, but was thankful I was wearing shorts.

Then the road took a turn, and I got a better view towards the northwest...

Dark, ominous clouds were on the horizon and they soon overtook the skies above. The wind picked up and the temperature dropped. And then, heavy wet snowflakes began to fall horizontally, heavily reducing visibility and sticking to my sunglasses. Snow squall!!!

Finished up the run, got in my car and began driving home. Ten minutes later, the sun took back over the skies and the winds died. It was as if it never happened. Welcome to late winter/early spring weather in Maine.

Ran 5.7 miles @ 7:32/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 142/160
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Mid 40s to mid-30s, partly cloudy to overcast with heavy snow and winds.
Saucony Kinvara, shorts, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: