Friday, March 18, 2011

Mile Repeats in a Mighty Wind

This was likely my final session of mile repeats before the Boston Marathon, as next week I'll probably do either Yasso 800s or hill repeats for my interval work and then the week after I'll begin my taper. Last time I did mile repeats I wasn't too happy with the outcome, but not the case today.

I did five repeats with a quarter of a mile of active recovery in between. Weather was odd. Nice that it was very warm out with temps in the mid-60s, but there was a wind a blowin'... a mighty, mighty wind at that. The town's airport had gusts measuring around 40 mph and I'd say that was definitely accurate.

Splits were almost a perfect ladder. That wasn't by design. I think I went out too fast at first, recovered in the middle, then poured it on in the end. Splits were 5:51, 6:07, 6:14, 6:08 and 5:51, which averages out to 6:02/mile.

After the last repeat, I puked. It's not a successful mile repeat session unless that happens. The quarter mile of active recovery really isn't that much, so it's a tough workout. The cool down run afterwards felt like a snail's pace by comparison, but it was also a welcome way to shake the legs loose.

w/u - Ran 1.7 miles @ 7:35/mile pace.
5 X 1.0 mile repeats w/ .25 mile active recovery. Splits of 5:51, 6:07, 6:14, 6:08, 5:51. Average of 6:02/mile.
c/d - Ran 1.7 miles @ 8:45/mile pace.

AHR/MHR - 164/178 (for repeats and active recovery)
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly for warm-up and cool down, flat for the repeats.
Mid 60s, sunny, extremely windy (gusts around 40 mph).
Saucony Kinvara, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

No comments: