Sunday, March 02, 2008

Trail Monster 50K... err, 33.4K... Fat Ass

Original plan, run the three loops that were 10.5 miles each. That didn't end up happening, at least not for me. No real problems, I just found the conditions a bit more grueling than I would have liked. The snow from yesterday's storm wasn't very well packed down, and it loosened up considerably as the day got warmer. After 21 miles, I decided to call it a day per my plan of building hay in the barn, and not burning it. Doing a third loop would have torched it with these conditions.

It was a great day though. My friend Natasha was in town and we joined Ian, Emma, Mindy, Blaine, Chuck, Erik, James and a few other people who's names I forget. Not all planned to do three loops, but it was still nice to start out with 11 folks at the beginning. Stephen showed up in the morning, but reluctantly he decided not to run because of stomach issues.

First loop went well. Snow was loose in some spots, but pretty manageable. Finished it pretty strong, but decided to take it easier on the second loop. That was a good thing as the snow really loosened up by this point. Running on it was just very difficult and a bit dangerous. Natasha also started to not feel very well and midway through the second loop we decided to call it a day when we got back to the parking lot. It was a good choice and I don't regret it. Still got in a great long run that left gas in the tank for the week ahead. Really felt I helped build with this run rather than destroy.

Looks like Ian, Emma and Erik went on for a third loop. They're animals!

Ran 21.6 miles @ 12:59/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 135/162
Trails and dirt roads with snow, loose in long stretches.
Extremely hilly.
Upper 20s to mid 30s, sunny, windy.
Long pants, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.


3 comments:

mindy said...

33.4K is still pretty animalistic! You guys kick ass. It's nice to hear that the pro's even thought it was hilly and sub-par conditions, now I won't be too hard on myself for thinking it was tough! You will surely be ready to crank it up this week and not be too broken down from too many miles today. Way to save that hay!

Sarah said...

I can tell that was a tough run since you only managed a 12:59 pace! Nice job on getting as far as you did.

I like your philosophy: building hay in the barn, not burning it. I need to remember that one. : )

Michael Jay Dotson said...

After seeing some of the monster elevation profiles that you've posted, I'm going to have to put an asterisk whenever I claim to have run a "hilly" course.