Saturday, March 29, 2008

If You Don't Like the Weather, Just Wait a Minute

Morning run started out innocently enough under bright, partly cloudy skies. A little after a mile, I made the left turn to climb the ridge. Within a few minutes the skies darkened and the flakes began to fall. Gently at first, but then harder. I had to wipe the snow off my fleece jacket several times, but by the time I reached the top of the ridge, it was over. Yup, a snow squall. As quickly as it began, it ended just as abruptly. The sun shined and the birds sang. It was as if it never happened. I passed the elk farm and enjoyed the downhill off the ridge and returned home. Neat run.

Tomorrow I'm running the Eastern States 20 with Mindy. We're not racing it, just using it as a slow training run for fun. Stephen and Brian will also be there. The race starts in Kittery, Maine, goes through New Hampshire, and ends in Massachussetts. That'll be fun.

Ran 11.8 miles @ 8:29/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 139/156
Paved roads with patches of slush, dirt roads with packed snow.
Very hilly.
Mid 20s, snow squalls, partly cloudy.
Long pants, fleece jacket, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

2 comments:

Love2Run said...

You're certainly right about the weather. I was looking at that 20 mile run as a possibility but the travel was a bit much for me. Have fun and give us the full report on how it goes!

Michael Jay Dotson said...

I just got around to reading about your race. I agree – that will be pretty cool to say that you’ve run the Eastern and Western states event in the same year. Then all that would be left would be the Northern and Southern States :)

Speaking of Western States, I was looking at your countdown ticker and see that there are only 89 days to go. Time sure does fly, doesn’t it?