Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Dark Woods

Did two runs today. Both short and pretty craptastic. Legs are feeling pretty dead, so that just tells me the step down week this week is all the more needed (shorter runs for the next few days, easy paced). Part of the reason can definitely be attributed to lots and lots of moving stuff out of Kate's place and cleaning it up for some potential tenants. Thank goodness that task is now over.

AM:
I snuck in two miles before cross country practice. I had toyed with maybe doing three tempo miles with them but it was obvious during my warm-up that said plan was pretty stupid. Called it good for then and thought I'd try again this evening. 

Ran 1.9 miles @ 8:51/mile pace. 
Paved roads. 
Very hilly. 
Lower 70s, sunny. 
Brooks Mach 14, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap. 

PM:
I decided to give the woods out back a go a few hours before sunset. Legs felt just as dead, but this run was awesome because there were hardly any deer flies out. Their season is literally in its final days. Good riddance. 

So that made the trail run very enjoyable even if my legs felt like concrete. I saw several turkeys, which is always pretty cool. Days are getting shorter at an exponential rate and the thick tree canopies made it even darker. I love that. It feels ominous yet peaceful at the same time. Very thankful to have awesome woods to run in right next to my house. 

Ran 5.4 miles @ 10:42/mile pace. 
Technical trails, some fire roads. 
Very hilly. 
Lower 70s, sunny. 
New Balance MT110, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap. 

3 comments:

pathfinder said...

love that ominous feeling at dusk

mindy said...

Perfect description of the shortening days. Way to get in 2 runs - I'm always impressed by your doubles. Can't wait for MDI!

Judson Cake said...

Ya, moving sucks. Rest up. Bradbury part III is coming right up.