Saturday, August 18, 2012

Maine Marathon Course

Jeremy is running the Maine Marathon so myself, Zak and Susanna joined him for a tour on part of the course this morning. Good times and a good run.

We met at a trailhead off Route 88 and a light rain was still falling and continued for the first few miles of our run. It wasn't really a cool refreshing rain... more of a steamy, sauna-like rain but in actuality the temperatures were relatively low (mid 60s) and overall the conditions were somewhat comfortable, even after the rain stopped. 

First ten miles were at an easy pace allowing for good conversation and shenanigans. Very good to see Zak recovering from a knee issue and complete the run pretty comfortably. Nearly 16 miles of pounding on a road is probably a good test and it sounds like he passed. 

On the return, the pace began to pick up and Susanna and I charged one of the bigger uphills together. The pace felt great so not too long afterwards I decided to let it fly. That was good for me, as I didn't do much speed work this week apart from the tail ends of progression runs. Last six miles averaged out to my MP, though in progression form with the earlier two at 7:17 and 7:12 and the last two full miles were 6:23 and 6:21. I was happy with how comfortable those faster miles felt.

Good run. Will do between 8-10 miles at an easy to recovery pace tomorrow. That'll get me over 60 miles for the week. Might take a step down week next week as I feel I'm due for one... though while I thought that was a certainty early in today's run... given how much I had at the end of it I'm second guessing myself and I may wait another week. I'll play it by ear. Doing a semi-step down week is another option. Shades of gray...

Ran 15.8 miles @ 7:36/mile pace. 
Paved roads. 
Moderately hilly. 
Mid to upper 60s, overcast, light rain in the beginning. 
Saucony Kinvara 3, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap. 

2 comments:

middle.professor said...

sweet run dude. Would have like to join you but I was off racing 5Ks with Sam (Failed to beat Susannah's recent times but don't tell her).

mindy said...

Killer run J-Rock - you will break MDI!!