Thursday, August 02, 2012

Hills and Humidity

Good, easy paced run on a very hilly route. 90% humidity, but I thankfully got out early enough to enjoy cloud cover for nearly the entire run. The sun just started to peek out during the last couple tenths of a mile. Not having the sun beating down along with the humidity makes a huge difference.

Felt better than I anticipated. Pace was actually a light progression. Shin splint in the right leg continues to nag. It's been going on for about a month but every time I have splints they typically last 4-6 weeks, so its days are likely numbered. I know trail running would help it, but I'll take the splint's aggravation over the deer flies any day.

Next two days will also be very easy paced. This is turning out to be a solid week. On pace for close to 70 miles for the week and with the race on Sunday I'll have had two speed workouts to boot...one light, one heavier. Good timing, it's getting to be that time where I'm at the heart of the training period for MDI.

Ran 10.1 miles @ 8:06/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Mid 70s, mostly cloudy, very humid.
Saucony Kinvara 3, shorts, short sleeved shirt, bandana, handheld bottle (water).

2 comments:

Judson Cake said...

Fix shin splits forever, get yourself a cement block with holes in it and while sitting so most of your foot is over hanging other than your heals, put your feet through those holes and lift that sucker up and down with your shins. Walking on your heals will help a lot too. Although I'd wait until your pain is gone before doing much other than body weight toe lifts or pulling yourself across a rug with your toes. There is a lot of potential to get faster by strengthening shins and ankles. And those are my words of wisdom for the day.

Jamie Anderson said...

Thanks Judson, I'll definitely experiment with that. Much appreciated!