Friday, August 10, 2012

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Was out relatively late with friends, and woke up late this morning and, well... I could tell I went out last night. It was already warm and humid by the time I got up, but the scenario I had hoped for looked like it was shaping up: afternoon thunderstorms.

I was watching the radar and was actually getting antsy to get out the door. I left at a time that would allow me to take advantage of thick cloud cover, though I'd still have to deal with some very soupy humidity. If I was lucky, it'd start to rain on me the last few miles. But I was guaranteed not to have the sun beating down on me... a big plus.

Plan was to run the 11-mile route that goes by Harris Farm and get in 3 X 2-miles at around 1/2 marathon pace with .5 miles of active recovery. Normally cruise intervals would have a shorter amount of recovery, but given the race last Sunday and also the soupy weather, I felt it was better to err on the side of caution and allow a little more rest.

Went really well. Felt pretty strong throughout and even the active recovery was relatively fast. 2-mile splits ended up being 13:10, 13:07 and 12:59. I ended up beating the rain, but looking at the radar, that's a good thing. Looks like we could really get walloped with strong thunderstorms. Good weather for staying in and reading.

w/u: Ran 2.5 miles @ 7:21/mile pace.
3 X 2-mile w/ 1/2 mile active recovery: 13:10, 13:07, 12:59.
c/d: Ran 1.5 miles @ 7:40/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Lower to mid 70s, overcast, very humid.
Saucony Kinvara 3, shorts.

No comments: