Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Running With the Bear

Ran 4.5 miles @ 9:10/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 133/161
Paved roads.
Mostly flat.
Mid-60s. Overcast.

My brother and father flew in from Florida today, and after picking them up we went for a run shortly after getting back home. They got a real treat when less than a mile from my house and a huge black bear ran across the road about a 150 feet in front of us! They got a better look at it then I did, and I sprinted up to the edge of woods that he ducked into, looked up in the trees, but he was long gone. I'll take the sighting as a good omen for Vermont.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent that you were able to get out with your family for a quick run. And to see a bear. What a treat. Hopefully the moose will come next.

See you shortly.

Blaine Moore said...

I've never seen a bear while running, but I have seen Moose, coyotes, and snakes.

I do have to say, though, that the only animal (or in this case, bird) that has ever made me worried has to be the vultures. They stare down at you with their beady little eyes and all of their heads turn in unison as you pass under them, and you know that they are just waiting for you to trip and fall...it is very disconcerting.

Runner NYC said...

It's great that your family runs, too!! Seeing a black bear running, but not at you, must be a good omen!!

Blaine - that's really creepy! Where do you run with vultures?