Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Hilly Trails and Race Schedule

Ran 5.4 miles @ 8:30/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 149/165
Trails.
Extremely hilly.
Lower 80s, humid.

We had a good-sized group today for our weekly run, with nine of us in all. I haven't run anything hilly since the 100-miler, so thought today would be good to gauge how recovery is going. Quads and hamstrings felt great. Stephen, who also ran the 100, also reported feeling very strong. It's amazing how quick the body can recover. Having said that, I also realize I'm not fully there yet, and will continue to take it easy for the next week and a half as planned.

Been doing some thinking for the race schedule... Stephen, James and I will all be throwing our hats in the ring for the Western States 100 next year. We're also looking at the Massanutten 100 down in Virginia as a backup (or possible addition, since they're a month apart). And the Vermont 100 was simply too much fun, so that's definitely on the agenda as well.

Those are all in the spring and summer, and for the fall and winter, I'm looking at running the MDI Marathon again this year, followed by the Stonecat 50. Possibly will do the Hyannis Marathon as well. I'd love to qualify for Boston with one of those marathons, but in all honesty, I'm not that gung-ho on qualifying for it as I was last year. I'd still love to do it, but my running enthusiasm is more directed at ultras for now. That could change, but I'll just go with the flow and let the chips fall where they may. It's all about having fun, and I'm really enjoying the path I've set to take for now.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Good luck with WS100 lottery, I'll be putting my bets in also!

Devon said...

OH WS100! How exciting. I was thinking about trying as well, though I am not sure I am ready, but hell.... if you do get in, I will volunteer for pacer/crew duty!