Saturday, July 14, 2007

Early Morning at Pineland/Vermont Plan

Ran 7.0 miles @ 9:08/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - N/A (didn't feel like wearing strap)
Trails.
Extremely hilly.
Lower-mid 50s.



Stephen and I met up at 5:30am to get in our final Pineland Farms training run before the Vermont 100 next weekend. The rolling terrain there is always a great workout. We just set out at an easy pace and discussed the race and a variety of other topics. Stephen is a great guy to run with, and I just wish he wasn't so darn fast (or I was faster) so I could run with him next week. I suspect he'll be leaving me and a lot of others in the dust!

Today I will finish buying supplies for next week and put together my drop bags and arrange my camping gear. Should be fun.

Below are my projected times for certain aid stations. Listed are my estimated times of arrival, along with the paces up to that checkpoint from the last with a progressively slower pace as the race moves along.

Start = 4:00am
21.1 miles - 8:15am - 12:00/mile
30.1 miles - 10:25am - 13:00/mile
47.2 miles - 2:05pm - 13:00/mile
57.0 miles - 4:25pm - 14:00/mile
62.1 miles - 5:40pm - 14:00/mile
70.1 miles - 7:30pm - 14:00/mile
77.0 miles - 9:15pm - 15:00/mile
88.6 miles - 12:15am - 15:00/mile
95.5 miles - 2:10am - 16:00/mile
100.0 miles - 3:30am - 18:00/mile

Total time = 23:30

I'm looking at the above as a best case scenario. I'll seriously be very happy just to finish. Even if I have to drop out, I'll be fine with that. I just feel fortunate enough to be running this race, especially after the knee surgery three months ago. Having said that, a sub-24 hour time to get the buckle would be very sweet, and that's what I'm aiming for. But regardless of what happens, it should be a lot of fun, and that's what it's about.

7 comments:

Phil said...

Great run!
Best of luck sticking with any pacing game plan. I can't even stick to one on a 5K on a flat course. You'll have a great time during the race and at the end you'll have completed 100 flipping miles! That's just an insanely long distance.

RunSueRun said...

Hey Jamie,

You'll do great. I'll be sending good vibes your way. Send me some for Tahoe, too, willya? :)

Yer bud,
Sue

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

JAMIE SAID: a sub-24 hour time to get the buckle would be very sweet, and that's what I'm aiming for.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Looks good Jamie, Your Ready & you have a focused plan!! Keep that in your Memory bank and Give it your VERY BEST!!! Give it Your Very BEST Going to be an awesome ride, & I look forward to ur report!

Runner NYC said...

I'm rooting for you, Jamie! You've done a great job training smart and giving yourself room to recover, so that belt buckle should be your sweet reward!! Don't forget chocolate, though! ;)

Olga said...

Sound splits here. VT is an easy 100, just don't push hard first 60 so you have legs for the rest. Lots of runnable terrain. I walked all the ups and ran downs and flats s-l-o-w and still got 23:30, so you'd be fine. Relax now. Relax at the start too. Have fun, and best to you!

MB said...

just remember to keep moving no matter how slow you think you are going

each step is one closer to the finish, allot of it is mental-you've got that, just don't do anything stupid

Enjoy the DAY what better way to spend your time?

Michael Jay Dotson said...

Will there be tracking on the web so your fans can follow your progress?

I can't believe that you're able to do this only a few months after knee surgery. Fantastic.

I'm as curious to see how you recover for such a race as in how fast you run.