Friday, August 03, 2007

Heat Wave and Technological Musings

Ran 2.9 miles @ 7:44/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 155/167
Paved roads.
Mostly flat.
Upper 80s, very humid.

Heat

I was raised in Florida and was very active as a kid, which meant skateboarding, games of football, basketball, soccer, and the other usual kid and teenage games outside and all in this kind of weather. I don't know how I did it. This kind of heat is downright brutal and I have no desire to train in it. But alas, I managed to get out there for a meager 2.9 miles this evening after it cooled down a little (down to 88 degrees, ugh). Even after an ice cold shower, I sit here in my chair still sweating like a banshee. But relief is in sight, as temperatures will return to their seasonal norms on Sunday. Thank goodness.

Tech Stuff

Just thought I'd mention that I recently discovered Google Reader as a very convenient way to keep up with everyone's blogs. I suspect most of you bloggers already knew about this tool and I simply missed the boat, but in case you didn't, check it out. It's awesome.

And iPod prices have come down dramatically compared to even a year ago, and I treated myself to a nice 30GB version. With it, I have discovered the wonderful world of podcasts. Notably, Phedippidations is available for free on iTunes. Very entertaining, and the host is a huge Red Sox fan which makes it even better. He covers topics that I imagine would appeal to any runner on any level, and does it in a way that is well produced and very dynamic. EndurancePlanet also has some good running content on there, including interviews with ultrarunning deity Scott Jurek and the over-hyped Dean Karnazes. If anyone knows of any others, post them as a comment or shoot me an email. I'd love to add more to my library.

4 comments:

Runner NYC said...

Thanks for the tips! I have an iPod, but haven't entered the world of podcasts yet.

I hope you're right about the weather breaking by Sunday - I'm running the NYC Half and hoping for a PR, even if it's just a course PR.

UltraFlash said...

Over-hyped?!?!?!?! The man ran 350 or so miles non-stop! If he is over-hyped it is because the media makes him so. The dude is down to earth, easy to talk to, listens well, and writes a damn good book. Scott Jurek has brainwashed my friend Jamie with his vegan ramblings...someone save him...other good podcasts for running (all on iTunes include "The Competitors Radio Show", "The Final Sprint Podcast", NPR's "Car Talk" and "All Songs Considered". Enjoy

Phil said...

Sorry we didn't turn you on to readers earlier. I just switched over to Google's reader a couple of month's ago and love it.

Playing in the heat and running in the heat are two completely different things. Your body needs to use so much blood to keep the body cool that there is far less oxygen flowing to the muscles. When you were a kid, you were just out playing. You weren't trying to keep up a tempo for an extended period of time.

You'll get use to the heat, just about the time the thremostat gets turned down and you need to start dealing with the cold winter in Maine.

Good luck.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

sorry Bro, I still need to send up the humidity ur way for a few more weeks :-) we have WAY more then we need here (sigh)))) My only hope is that the humidity will make me stronger for the Tetons altitude...geesh cant a brother get just a little give & take - now don't ruin my thinking that humidity will not help me out in the Tetons ok--haha need some motivation to keep running in this crap :-(

DK & SJ too funny on all the comments, I found Ultras to get out of the Drama BS...

Have a great weekend!