Saturday, September 08, 2012

Breaking Brad

This week has been going pretty much as planned: not a lot of mileage and mostly easy paced with a planned rest day yesterday. I want the legs fresh for the Bradbury Bruiser tomorrow and if today was any indication, I should be doing really well there tomorrow. To quote Hannibal from the A-Team, I love it when a plan comes together.

I kept the pace easy on the trails out back but it was really difficult to do so. The legs felt spry and they wanted to bolt. Love that feeling. Very tempting to throw in some strides but ruled against it and decided to keep the horses penned up until tomorrow.

Weather and conditions look interesting for tomorrow. Bit warmer than the past few years but the most significant factor will be the rain tonight. It should make things pretty muddy for tomorrow and the twisty-turny O-trail at the end is going to be very interesting. I suspect there'll be a lot of falls tomorrow and I'll be surprised if at least one person doesn't break any bones. Hopefully I can avoid being a casualty.

One of the goals for tomorrow is top 10, though I suspect this race could be a bit more stacked than the other two races. That didn't factor in much with the Breaker for me because it was a big mileage week and I knew I'd place much lower. Not the case for tomorrow though. I'm ready to go, but I suspect I'll have my work cut out for me. The good news is I think this course plays to my strengths more than the other two races. It all depends on who shows up and also staying on my feet.

Back to today's run... a cool moment at the turn around point about two and a half miles into the woods. Thousands of birds, I think grackles, were gathered in a group of trees and the symphony of their voices was a bit overwhelming. No doubt they were chatting away about migration plans and psyching each other up for their big trip south. I stopped and listened to them a bit, knowing it won't be long before their songs will cease to be heard until spring, and I began my own much shorter journey back home.

Ran 5.1 miles @ 8:31/mile pace.
Trails, fire roads.
Mostly flat.
Mid 70s, overcast, very humid.
Brooks Mach 13, shorts.

4 comments:

Scout said...

Look out, Brad!

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Yeah man tomorrow is going to be nice and muddy for sure!! Glad you're feeling well and ready for a great day!

R. Ian Parlin said...

I'm pretty sure it was Hannibal that said that.

Jamie Anderson said...

Ian, you're correct. Going to edit now.