Sunday, September 16, 2012

Blog-aversary and MDI

Six years of blogging as of today. This here little blog continues to be a great way to organize my thoughts after each run and I can't imagine not having it. I'm honored folks like to check in on it and it's been a great way to connect with others, so thanks for reading.

Back to running... awesome weekend camping up at Acadia National Park with Jim, Shauna, Scott, Dora and hanging out with Eric and Brittany. Kate unfortunately couldn't make it because one of our cats is really old and not doing so well. Really wish she could have been there, it would have made the weekend perfect.

Saturday: 
Our new tent, The Shangri-La.
Morning coffee down by the water
Arrived Friday night, set up camp and hung out with Jim and Shauna a bit before going to bed. Woke up and did a run I've always wanted to do: run up Cadillac Mountain via the South Ridge Trail from the campground. Did just that. I had contemplated running the Bar Harbor Half Marathon in reverse like I did last year, which would have been fun, but I'm glad I went with this option.

After climbing a few hundred feet, the fog was getting thicker and Leon was getting laaaaaaarger. The plan was to keep the pace pretty easy, which I did, including walking some of the steeper spots. So, I was surprised that I still got to the top in less than an hour (59:42). Distance was 4.5 miles and I climbed 1360 feet. Nothing blazing, I'm just surprised how easy it felt. Very pleasant.

Run back down was about five minutes faster. Saw several more hikers on the return as they were making their way up. Most exchanged hellos and were very friendly, but a couple came just short of scowling, despite there being plenty of room on the trails. I'm always amused by that. Still, I feel kill them kindness is a good approach.

Got back, cleaned up a little, ate lunch, took a nap, lounged around and read. Very relaxing. Then we all met up at Geddy's for dinner and drinks which was fun.


Ran 9.0 miles @ 12:49/mile pace.
Technical trails.
Insanely hilly.
Lower 60s, in a cloud, humid.
New Balance MT110, shorts, short sleeved shirt, Saloman water belt (water).


Sunday
Eric told me at Geddy's he wasn't sure if he would be able to run with me if he and Brittany were both going to run and get back home in time, so I had switched plans and was going to drive to the MDI finish line and run an out and back on the hills. 

However, while driving along the course, I soon saw Eric. "Want a lift?", I asked and he obliged, and we headed back to Blackwoods to start from there. He was just two miles from the campsite when I saw him and Eric was able to make it afterall, but I was late at starting my run so we missed each other. 

So, back we went, and began the run. Should note here that aside from a strong and brisk wind, the weather was PERFECT. Lower to mid 50s and sunny throughout the run, which is my ideal running weather. 

Felt out of sync for the first half of the run but pretty fantastic for the second half. Eric, as I planned, gave me a really good pull. Nice to go out with a stronger runner and try to match him, even if he is holding back some. Really helped me out and I was very pleased with the run. 

Eric and Brittany were camping at the Mount Desert Campground at the top of Somes Sound, so we stopped there after running much of the last mile on the campground dirt roads, which made things a bit slower. Served as a great 14-mile tempo run. Splits were 7:47, 7:11, 7:08, 7:13, 7:08, 6:46, 6:49, 6:53, 6:50, 6:31, 6:40, 6:32, 6:40 and 7:05. 

Very pleased with how that run went. I had originally planned on 20 miles today, but given my situation right now, speed work is at a premium so I'd much rather have 14 quicker miles than 20 slower miles. The distance work is set, I need to hone in on the faster stuff at this point for MDI, so today fit that mold. Hopefully it'll all be enough.

Ran 14.0 miles @ 6:57/mile pace. 
c/d Ran .4 miles @10:03/mile pace. 
Paved roads. 
Moderately hilly. 
Lower to mid 50s, sunny, windy. 

1 comment:

Scout said...

Sounds like you're more than ready!

and happy blog birthday :D