Sunday, April 01, 2012

Boston Recon, Part Deux

Great day today as I ran the last 16.2 miles of the Boston Marathon course at an easy pace with my friends Maddy and Chris. We carpooled down together and parked near South Station, where we hopped on the commuter train to Natick and ran back from there. That all went very smoothly, which was nice. And riding trains is always fun.

I'll just do some quick bullet points on the day, as I want to shower and am dying to grill up some steaks I picked up on the way home. I'm staaaaaarvin...

- The conversation flowed like wine. Chris is obviously super pumped, as he should be.

- The weather was ideal, just under 50 degrees.

- Saw a lot of other runners out there, but expected to see more.

- I think I have the Newton Hills memorized as well as the final hills of the MDI course now. This is good. Knowledge is power when it comes to the later stages of hilly courses.

- It was Chris's first time on the course and this will be his first Boston. Though I'm hardly an expert and didn't want to be a mother hen, I tried to offer whatever insight I thought might be helpful, especially on the hills.

- A friend of Maddy's, another Chris, joined us for the first 10 miles but bowed out shortly after Heartbreak Hill since he lives in the area. Really nice guy and wish he could have stayed with us longer.

- I think I convinced Maddy to run MDI this year. She'd do really well there.

- One of the bathrooms in the hospital in Newton, just before the right turn on to Commonwealth, will probably never smell the same again, thanks to your's truly.

Ran 16.2 miles @ 7:58/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Lower to upper 40s, sunny to overcast.
Saucony Kinvara 2, shorts, long sleeved shirt, cap.

No comments: