Thursday, July 14, 2011

Long Run in Cooler Weather

The hay is in the barn!
Ah, cooler and dryer air has moved in. Our temperatures will be normal today for a change. Good timing, as I had a long run planned and was thankful I didn't have to do it in the heat. Plan was to keep this one really easy and slow. Stuck with that plan and just puttered along.

Took a detour on to some trails alongside the Saco River, though they were a bit more technical than I remembered and also close to the cliffs. Really took it easy on some of those sections, as I didn't want to bounce off any rocks while tumbling down to the water. Rather pleasant and pretty uneventful run otherwise. Saw a couple of deer who were thinking about crossing the road but though better of it.

Two and a half weeks until the 50K, so this was my final long run and I'll now taper down until race day. Unlike the Boston and MDI Marathons, no specific formula for this taper. Just keep the milage progressively lower until race day and play things by ear. Would like to do some stride work next week though for some leg turnover and form work. That and just run trails whenever I can and the deer flies aren't too bad.

Ran 20.2 miles @ 8:33/mile pace.
Paved roads, some trails.
Moderately hilly.
Upper 50s to upper 60s, sunny.
Saucony Kinvara, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap, hand held bottle (diluted lemonade).

No comments: