Thursday, July 21, 2011

Kennebunk Conservation Trails

Mindy joined me somewhat early this morning to explore some new to us trails at a land trust in Kennebunk. All I can say is: score. Mostly single track through beautiful forests and the trails were pretty extensive as well. We ran an 7.5 mile loop (with bonus distance after missing a turn) and there are other trails that would allow us to extend on that in the future.

We jibber jabbed about just about everything and even stopped a few times to munch on wild blueberries. Just a very fun morning.

Even though we started at 7am, the heat was already bad, but we actually fared quite well. Deer flies were bad, especially when my shirt began to cling to my back like Saran Wrap, allowing them to bite through to my skin easily, but swatting my back with a pine branch (think Illumanati) in the worst spots helped. But all in all, heat and bugs were tolerable.

Worth noting, my Garmin 410 continues to come up very short on distances compared to others when running on trails. I measured 7.6, but will go with Mindy's 8.1-ish. The loop we did was listed at 7.5 miles but we took a wrong turn for over half a mile, which makes Mindy's data make more sense.

Great trails, and we'll be back!

Ran 8.1 @ 10:45/mile pace.
Trails.
Slightly hilly.
Upper 70s to lower 80s, sunny, humid, hazy.
Adidas Adizero XT, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap, handheld bottle (coconut water).

3 comments:

Sparkplug said...

Sounds like fun! Always good to explore new trails :-)

mindy said...

Great run Jamie - so glad we checked out those trails!

Scout said...

And Mindy's garmin has been a little short of what mine reads. Interesting!

I love it when runners can have a good time despite heat, the villainous deer flies, etc!