Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Comes to a Close

I woke up with leg muscles so sore and tight, it felt as if trolls had beaten them with clubs in vengeance for breaking one of their mysterious laws of which us humans know little about. However, the reality is they are just sore from the past two days of XC skiing. I think the result of this soreness was more from the first half of the first day where my technique was REALLY off and my legs worked much harder than they should have, or so I like to tell myself.

However, despite this, I mused my legs were sore from skiing, not running. They were sore in areas they normally aren't, so it was probably okay to still run if I took it easy. I had some bailout points along the route to cut it short if needed, but my theory that I would be okay because the muscles were being used differently proved to be more or less correct. Run went well, and kept the pace easy which helped loosen things up.

So with that, training and racing in 2010 is done. Aside from the stress fracture last spring, it was a pretty good year with plenty of successes, especially qualifying for Boston. The injury took a dent in my running totals, but all in all not bad:

2010 Totals
Running = 1522.7 miles
Nordic Skiing = 127.9 kilometers
Mountain Biking = 306.9 miles

Hopefully 2011 will be injury free and full of even more successes and big fun. Hope it's the same for anyone reading this as well.

Today's totals:
Ran 10.3 miles @ 8:05/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 137/148
Paved roads, a few patches of slush.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 40s, partly sunny.
Saucony Kinvara, shorts, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves (shed halfway).

5 comments:

MB said...

gotta love that X-C skiing! Happy New Year and best of luck in your 2011 races!

Grellan said...

Happy New Year Jamie. All the best for 2011 - your Boston Year.

Thomas said...

Happy New Year, Jamie. Boston 2011 will be waiting for you.

Trevor said...

Happy New Year Jamie! This may have been mentioned before, or perhaps it's obvious, but why do you track the skiing in km's, but the biking and running in miles? Thanks

Jamie Anderson said...

Trevor - Just seems like the way it's commonly measured for that sport, so I got into the habit of tracking it in km early on. Happy New Year!